Happy Friday darlings! Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner. Eeep! That means most of us have a short 3 (or 2!) day week coming up. Exciting, but also a bit overwhelming all at the same time, especially if you’re hosting like myself. I’m taking this weekend to do some last minute prep before my guests arrive into town next week. But before I dive into that, I want to share the fabulously pretty Thanksgiving Inspiration we shared on SMP Living this week with lovely photos from Heidi at White Loft Studio. It’s dreamy. Here’s a teensy tiny peek but you’re going to have to head over there to see the rest.
And now, for some of my very own Thanksgiving prep tips (cause you know, I’m a pro at this, being a first timer and all). Right. I’m sure Turkey Day will still bite me in the ass and there will be a few ‘hot mess’ moments but now it wouldn’t be a proper Thanksgiving without the mishaps, now would it? Here are a few things I’m going to keep in mind:
1. Thawing your turkey. I spent a decent amount of time researching this whole turkey business this year and one of the biggest mistakes I hear of (if you’ve bought frozen) is forgetting to thaw out your turkey in time! Place your turkey breast side up (keeping it in the packaging) on a tray in the refrigerator. The general rule is to allow 24 hours per 4 lbs of turkey. So a 15 lb turkey should take about 4 days.
2. Serving pieces. Take the time this weekend to make sure you’ve got the correct amount of plates, silverware, wine glasses and even chairs! It sounds like common sense but you don’t want to be short any of these items last minute. Also go through your major serving pieces—do you have a turkey platter, gravy boat, enough pots and pans? If not, you can always ask guests to bring something you might not have.
3. Stock the bar. Or, have your guests contribute and bring what they like. Wine is where it’s at in our house, but it goes quickly so we’re making sure to stock up this weekend. Oh, and don’t forget the eggnog!
4. Preparing for guests. I dedicated a nice little post on this topic because I think it’s so, so important to set the mood in your home and make sure your guests are happy. They’ll notice your hard work and feel welcomed to visit again.
5. Don’t forget to relax! Being a host is tough work. And if you’re stressed, it will totally show. If you take the right steps to prepare for any gathering (and make sure to ask for help when you need it!) you’ll be able to kick back and enjoy all of your hard work.
*Prep tips by Yours Truly | Thanksgiving Inspiration by SMP Living | Photos by White Loft Studio
I’m pretty basic when it comes to my skincare and beauty routine. For the majority of the year, soap and water do the trick for me. But during the winter months, I like to give my skin a little extra lovin’. I can already feel the dryness setting in with the few short weeks of cold weather we’ve had, which means it’s time to bust out my tried and true winter beauty products. Keep reading for my step by step routine!
1. Exfoliate: Fresh Sugar Face Polish. I’m a big fan of Fresh products and this face polish is a sweet little treat for your face. Packed with natural ingredients like brown sugar and wild strawberries, it’s perfect for getting that buff look.
2. Cleanse: Clarisonic Deep Pore Detoxifying Solution Set. Let’s be real, facials are expensive. I still recommend treating yourself to one every now and then (you deserve it!), but I love my Clarisonic for every other day use to remove the dirt, oil and makeup that can build up so quickly. You’ll end up with that perfect glow and find that your moisturizer absorbs a thousand times better.
3. Hydrate: Philosophy’s Hope in a Jar. This stuff is ahh-mazing. My skin tends to be slightly more on the oily side during the day and drier at night. So I stick to my Hourglass tinted moisturizer before applying makeup and at night after I exfoliate and cleanse, I lather this on before hopping into bed.
4. Rosacea & Redness: Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream. I’ve never had rosacea, but I do have annoying redness and broken capillaries around my nose year round, which worsen in the winter. Rather than covering up my red spots with way too much concealer (which actually makes it worse!), I use this to keep it at bay.
5. Happy Hands: L’Occitane Shea Butter. My skin drinks up an insane amount of moisturizer. In addition to lathering up my whole body in cocoa butter each morning, I’ll throw on hand cream several times a day. With all the hand-washing and brisk days, it’s sort of a necessity.
6. Lip Love: Fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment. Nothing is worse than dry, cracked lips. I have a few favorites (including vaseline and burts bees) but lately I’ve been loving how soft Fresh Sugar leaves my lips feeling. It’s heaven.
I’d love to hear your routine and favorite products for winter!
Discovering new bloggers is such a happy treat, don’t you think? Learning their story, passions, what drives and inspires them, their successes and even their failures—and then, developing your own perception of what their story means to you. Nicole Warne of Gary Pepper is one of those bloggers that has intrigued me so. Her impeccable, feminine style is beyond gorgeous and her story of quickly rising success is something to admire. Not to mention, her travels around the world are amazing and I might be a tad
very jealous! So for now, I’m following along her journey and feeling inspired as ever.
*Photos via Gary Pepper
I had a bit of a rustic, woodsy, down-to-earth kind of upbringing on my Dad’s side. And Mom? I got my girly, glam, arts & crafts loving ways from her. Maybe that explains why I can spend hours in the kitchen baking or adversely, hours in the woods hunting, and being completely satisfied with either. But one thing that both sides of my family taught me was to enjoy food, laughter and good times with those you love. Hosting and entertaining are always happy moments for me because it’s always surrounded by exactly that, love. So, I’m wrapping up my two favorite styles for Thanksgiving this year. Rustic and glam. Here’s a little taste!
1. Shanna Murray Platter | 2. Gold Flatware Sets | 3. Gold Stripe Place Cards | 4. Gold Rimmed Stemless Glassware | 5. Gold Chargers | 6. Gold Taper Candles | 7. Beige Napkins | 8. Acacia Oval Platter
I heart my job in a big way. Every day is an exciting new adventure, a new and fabulously pretty feature to work on, or an amazing new vendor I get to meet. All the while, alongside some of the most talented gals (and guys!) I know. It’s truly a dream job that I couldn’t be more thankful for.
That being said, I hope it’s an ode to my pure excitement about getting up and ‘going’ to work every day. And today? Today is a good day. We just launched our second annual Fashion & Beauty e-magazine and it is packed with pretty my friends! I hope you’ll take a peek. And if you’re not a bride, it’s still SO worth a half hour of perusing, at least. You never know, you might just be inspired for your next event, wedding or not! Oh, and did I mention there’s a giveaway involved? Abby’s beauty bag is up for grabs. Get your fancy selves on over to SMP asap to find out the details on how to enter! xo
*Photography by Jose Villa Photography | Hair, Makeup and Beauty Styling by TEAM Hair and Makeup | See the whole mag